Monday, March 16, 2009

Interview with Patrick Henry's Tami Counts

As far as softball coaches go, not only in the Hogoheegee, but in all of southwest Virginia, few do it as well or better than Patrick Henry's Tami Counts. Having just had a baby a mere few weeks ago, she's already prepared to lead her Rebels into another exciting softball season. Just last season PH won the Hogoheegee district and advanced to the Region C tournament before being edged by Glenvar 1-0 in a nail biter. Counts was selected as Coach of the Year and her dedication to her team is a clear reason why she was selected. Coach Counts gave us a few minutes of her time for an interview about herself and this up and coming season.

How long have you been coaching softball? Have you coached anywhere besides PH?

I have been coaching at Patrick Henry since 1997. I coached softball with Stacy Poston at Northwood High School from 1994-1996.

What is your high school & college background? What were your sports backgrounds there?

I went to Patrick Henry High School and Emory and Henry College. I played basketball, volleyball, and I ran track. They did not have a softball team when I went to school so I kept the scorebook for the baseball team.

Who are some people that inspired you to become a coach? What is your favorite part of coaching?

Some of the people who inspired me to coach were my dad and brother. I spent a lot of time playing in the backyard with them as I was growing up and it made me want to stay involved in athletics. Coaches who influenced me while I was in school were Susan Johnston and Eddie Pruitt.
My favorite part of coaching is the kids. I love spending time with kids who devote themselves to a sport and go above and beyond to develop their fundamental skills to become successful. I have been very blessed with the kids I have coached in the past. They are the reason I continue to stay and coach; they are my second family.

What is the most memorable moment of your high school sports days as a player?

I can't really pinpoint any particular time or moment from my high school career; I just enjoyed playing ball. The only thing I can think of, this really ages me, is that I made the first three point
shot at PH.

What are some accomplishments as a coach that you will never forget?

Winning the Hogo tournament against Holston in 1997. Nicole Poore and Kendall Rainey were freshmen. Every time we make it to the play-offs in the region and/or state is an accomplishment I will always remember for my girls. The game we went 13 innings with Angela Tincher was pretty exciting also. She beat us two years in a row by one run.

(By the way, Tincher has her own Wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Tincher)

Congratulations on the new baby! This will obviously present some new challenges this year, is there anything you can add about that? The quick jump into coaching after having a baby is remarkable and requires lots of dedication to your team...

I did the exact same thing seven years ago when I had Lindsey. She was born in May and I only missed one week. I only missed a week with Kinsley as well. My husband and my mom are a great help and I couldn't continue coaching without their love and support. My teams' parents are also a great support.



Last year PH posted a 19-4-1 record and was edged in the Region C semi-finals by Glenvar 1-0. Do you feel like this year's team has what it takes to up the ante?

Definitely!! These girls are serious about their softball and they just want to add to their success from last season. Our goal is to work harder and go farther than the year before.

Last season you were the Hogoheegee's softball coach of the year. Looking back on that season, were there any games that you felt like you really earned it? Had to take a risk that turned out great?

I don't like to take credit; my players work very hard in practice. They listen, we work on skills and fundamentals, and they improve every day. These girls have been playing ball for years so I give credit to their parents for keeping them in the sport, and the athletes for giving their time and continuing to be dedicated to the sport of softball. They show a lot of respect for the game, myself, and the other coaches they play under.

Thank you for your time Coach Counts and best of luck this season to you and your Lady Rebels!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How awesome is that!? Just had a baby and is already out leading practice. Great interview!