Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring Updates

Umm.. what month is it? January? On Neptune?

NO! It's April and this weather is killing sports!! I just drafted an email to Mother Nature that read,

"Dear Mother Nature,

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

Best Wishes,

HogoOnline"

I don't expect to hear back but maybe it will inspire some good weather.


TRACK
And of course, Field.

Field cannot be left out with any mention of track.

Several folks have commented that VA.MileSplit.us does a shady job at covering track for the Hogoheegee and have suggested that I take over those duties. I'll be glad to take over anything with an adequate amount of information because frankly, I don't want to do any shady coverage either. So, in the coming weeks you will find a link off of the main page that will send you directly to an archived track message board full of (hopefully) good track info. Track coaches, email me your stuff if you get time.

Stuff = rosters, schedule, results

Also, over the summer I would like to compile a list of school track records and Hogoheegee records if those are available. Just something to be thinking about.

WRESTLING

No, not "wrasslin'". Wrestling. I'm looking for folks to help out with the Wrestling part of the site for next year. Wrestling is a tremendous sport and the Hogoheegee has more wrestling history than you could begin to imagine. Just as I previously mentioned for track, I don't want to have any shady coverage but I do know the Hogoheegee has some intense wrestling fans. So if you're computer saavy, know a lot about Hogoheegee wrestling and can post some results and schedules for me next year, let me know. Hogoheegee.com desperately needs you. Wrestling season is basketball season for me and that part of the year I become overloaded with rankings and results for those two sports. If I took on wrestling by myself, I would be doing the sport a tremendous disservice. It deserves someone's full attention. Again, please, be a part of the HogoOnline team.

HogoOnline Athletes of the Year

For those of you who were fans of the site last year, you remember we did a vote on the Male and Female athletes of the year. That will be happening again this year. Last year's winners were Kendra Nutter of Northwood and Tennis Simon of George Wythe. This year the format will be a little different. At the end of April I will post a survey for folks to nominate their favorite athletes. Last year I picked the nominees and a few commented that I left a few deserving folks out. This year you can only blame yourselves. Bahaha. I will take the top 4 males and females from each school and put that into a poll for everyone to vote on. The poll will likely run for about 60 days to ensure everyone gets in there and votes. So be thinking about the district's best athletes from fall through spring, males and females, and nominate them when the time comes. (I will post a link off of the already extremely cluttered main page).

Message Board Woes

If you have had any trouble accessing the message board in the last several days, please raise your hand.

Ok, hands down.

Sorry?? I don't know what the problem is. I can log on and several others have been able to log on. Yet, apparently, there is a few people who are asked to login after they already have. I looked into it and I don't think there is anything I can do. I recommend deleting some cookies, restarting your computer, or simply rechecking your password. If you have had this problem, please email me and let me know. Maybe we can see a pattern with particular accounts that will narrow down the source of this issue.

HogoOnline Rankings
and fans, thereof

Recently, I emailed a list of boys and girls basketball coaches throughout Region C along with a few AD's and what I would consider VIP's who are mainly noteworthy sports writers in our area. I was asked to get some feedback regarding the rankings system for basketball that I put out on the site each year to see if they could possibly be THE or A supporting variable in the decision of what teams advance to the playoffs and which ones do not.

While 16 coaches were contacted, only 8 responded.

7 were in favor of it. 1 was not. The 1 that was not in favor did not provide any justification as to why.

7 to 1 is good enough for me. I will take this to the next step and you may see our beloved rankings mean something major next year for both boys and I'll be introducing it for girls. But still yet, there are plenty others that I have to convince. Wish me luck.



No comments: